Thursday, October 9, 2008

Inhalants


What’s in Your Kitchen Cabinet?
Inhalants
A few years ago I heard that an old friend of mine was in some kind of trouble. She was having a nervous breakdown or losing her mind – no one seemed to know. I travelled across the country by plane and car to see what could have happened to my bright and effervescent friend and to see if there was some way I could help.
When I finally got to see her I was alarmed when my attempts at conversation were met with non-sequitur responses. She thought that some Indians were running around the house and that particles were flying out of my mouth as I spoke. Her once beautiful face was gaunt and ghostlike. I checked with our common friends to see what life circumstances could have provoked this devastating rapid deterioration of what seemed to be the fabric of her being.
It was inhalants they told me. She had a problems years past with them and had stayed away from them successfully for quite a while. But she picked them up again and had gone too far with their abuse. Now she lost her mind and no one knew if she would find it again. It was scary. I left after a few days, wondering where my friend was – she no longer seemed to inhabit her own body. A year later I heard she was doing better and living with her mother, but she never really got back to normal.
Inhalant abuse is sniffing or huffing products like markers, nail polish, spray paint, glue and rubber cement. The high comes from oxygen starvation. The oxygen starvation can also kill.
Some of the physical effects of inhalants are:
Sudden death
Violent behavior
Hallucinations
Headaches
Nausea
Muscle weakness

These are all bad things, but it seems like the first one would be enough to keep someone from trying inhalants even once. That one time could kill.
Inhalants are addictive and they are easy to get. They are right in our homes. If you suspect someone is abusing inhalants, then call us. 877-413-3073. We are an effective drug treatment program. We are the New Life Program.

drugsno.com, atlantarecoverycenter.com, narconon.org, drugsno.com/addiction.htm

No comments: