Thursday, October 30, 2008

It's Cold Season!

The cold and flue season is here.

Be careful. That over-the-counter cold medicine you have in your medicine cabinet may have some Dextromethorphan (DXM) in it and DXM can make a person high. You may not know about DXM, but most drug abusers do, so check your medicine cabinet.

One former DXM addict told his story this week at a conference about over the counter drug abuse. The abuser described his descent from star football player to DXM addict. “I was on my way to playing in the NFL and I had division one teams talking to me when I was 16 years old. During this time a friend introduced me to cough medicine and said it was a way to ‘expand my imagination.’ After a year of experimentation, I was hooked and continued to abuse the drug for 6 more years. It got to the point where I could not function without DXM and resorted to stealing it.

The whole transition from child to adult was thwarted because I was hooked on DXM. I am 24 years old and finally planning my life. I want parents to know that they can help prevent this in their own children by becoming informed.”

The only program that gave this individual relief has been the Narconon program. His future plans are to go back to school and become a teacher.

However, he hopes that by his warning that others don’t have to waste years of their life, before getting on track.

At Narconon, we have many first hand accounts from clients who abused this drug in the past. One reported that Coricidin (the most popular drug containing DSM) seemed to leap into his pocket when he was in the drug store. Another told a staff member that he has never quite returned to normal after his extensive abuse of the drug.

Call Narconon at 877-413-3073

drugsno.com, drugsno.com/addiction.htm, drugsno.com/identify_abuse.htm

No comments: